Monday, March 27, 2017

Back To My Roots...

This is not about genealogy.

It's about fabric. 
And paint.
Pigment. Dye. Whatever the choice may be.

I have a Bachelor of Visual Arts in Surface Design.
What I do in my daily job has zero to do with design.

(This is a peek at my "knock-off" project)

So, given the fact that my parents spent a fortune on my design degree 
(Thanks Mom and Dad!)
 and I'm not using it to earn a living I decided to go back to my roots.
And hand paint some fabric to use on a project.

I call this my #secretproject on IG.
I'll be able to share more soon but for now we will talk about jazzing up plain sheets or yardage for about $1.27. Yep, $1.27.


I used my jazzed up sheets as curtains and you'll find out why soon. 
I also used this process to perk up some pillowcases.

First, here is an idea of my inspiration textiles.

WINKS - desire to inspire - desiretoinspire.net:
via
 I am loving the hand painted/hand blocked  fabrics 
that are everywhere in decor these days.


Hand Printed Fabric Design | Dasara by Pintura Studio:


 Block print curtains. See More. Deep in the tree:
via

Here's what I did.
This is definitely a "do as I say not as I do" tutorial. ;)

I started late at night because that's how I roll 
and it makes taking "good blogger" photos harder. But this is what we have!


I draped my kitchen table in plastic dropcloths because it was really cold the 3 days I had to work on this so the big table on the porch was not an option.


I gathered up supplies.


My recycled palette - Chic Fil A Catering Nugget Tray, foam roller, and Sherwin Williams Acrylic Latex in the perfect blue.
I know all about textile medium and extender but I have lots and lots and lots of clothes with latex house paint on them and it doesn't wash out. So I feel good about skipping the textile medium on this project. And if they faded slightly it would only add to the handblocked look.
And it's 11:30 at night, so there's that. 
I compromise with myself very easily late at night.



There's the $1.27 stamp. 
Roll a thin coat of paint on the stamp and start stamping.

Again, the sheets or yardage should have been pressed (or at least tumbled- yikes) but it did not matter for the "look" I was after so I lazily skipped that step.


I just eyed the repeat pattern and did not worry about the stamp image being "perfect" every time. I wanted a hand made, worn type of look. I wanted that Anthro vibe for these.



I just kept stamping, blow drying, shifting the sheet and stamping some more
 until all the sheets were finished.



And the next morning everything looked pretty good in the daylight!
Off they went to the #secretproject, ironed and crisp looking!
(There will be a full reveal!! Soon.)



 And then I pulled out my favorite Sherwin Williams green paint - Talipot Palm - and decided to go green on a couple of sheets and pillowcases
 for the #secretproject with another $1.27 foam stamp.





I love the green, too!
Grab a foam stamp and some leftover paint and give something solid a new look!
It's fun!

UPDATE: The latest issue of Country Living had this great feature on block printing!!
Check it out!



*I am not affiliated or compensated ( too bad!) by Country Living magazine. 
I just wanted to share.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! It is so easy and fun! I can't wait to share the revealof that entire project very soon!

      Delete