Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Progress Is All About Perspective.

 Progress is all about perspective. In so many things. Not just decorating!!

The room below has been a slooowww work in progress. I began in May thinking I would complete the bulk of it that month. It's October and I'm still slogging away. 

(One day I will steam the wrinkles from the daybed cover. Promise)

It is better, in my opinion, to take time and find the right things. That wasn't necessarily the hold up here but between interruptions and the amount of work involved in some of the steps I am still pulling it together. 

The gold mirror is a bit smaller than I want but for $1.99 at Goodwill it was an excellent "filler" for the time being!

I posted a sneak peak of a small nearly finished area on my IG recently declaring myself the Queen of Slow Decorating. 

Shortly after that I saw an IG story from Rachel at Serene and Co. about comparison on social media when it comes to big, spendy, sponsored accounts and the rest (and probably majority) of us who have to plan, save, thrift, etc. to create homes that serve and comfort our families. 


I love the inspiration on Instagram. I started on IG in the very early days because it was visual and inspiring and a lot less "opinion" oriented than other social media outlets. It has changed a lot in the years I've been here but I remind myself that I actually control what I see and if an account is just about selling product or has unrealistic projects and materials that don't really relate I can unfollow (and I do that sometimes.)
 I like to look at high end, good design because it is beautiful and can be educational. We, as IG consumers, have to control our responses to it or limit exposure. It's really that simple. 



I want what I share to be realistic and attainable. My house is probably 90% thrifted, slow decorated and well used. We live hard in our house and nothing is precious - dogs on the furniture, white slipcovers can be bleached after spills, we eat in front of the TV if we want to and we put our feet up on the coffee table. That doesn't mean we don't care for our things, we just really use them to suit how we live. Our screened porch always gets a big response on IG and it is truly one big thrift find!! Even some of the wood used to build it. You can read about it here. 

(A quick screenshot from the other day. It doesn't have to be instant or expensive!)


And if I save for something special I still don't want the price or the wait to cause me to be less comfortable about how we use it in our daily lives. 


I think my definition of a really beautiful home on IG would be that it has spaces that serve its family well. What about you? 


2 comments:

  1. "It is better, in my opinion, to take time and find the right things"
    Love everything you said .... all true !
    Adore your style -- and especially your perspective on curating a REAL home.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete