Saturday, September 10, 2022

One Simple Change - Family Room Update.

I recently changed the curtains in our family room and, wow, was I surprised at the difference changing one thing made. I chose Phyllis Panels in Slate from Decoberry for the family room.


Here's a little reminder of the before. 
  


We are really enjoying the change. More afters:




I posted on Instagram and someone commented that "curtains are like lipstick - the finishing touch." I was very happy with the white curtains and bamboo shades that I had hung when this room was refreshed for the One Room Challenge. But adding these slate blue panels from Decoberry made a big impact. 

After seeing the beautiful change in our family room I decided to hang the same Phyllis panels in our entry way but in jade green. The two rooms are open to each other and this is a great design trick to tie the rooms together but give them a separate look and personality as well. 

Before: I used inexpensive and unlined IKEA panels. The difference with the lined Decoberry panels is remarkable. 

Our entry way is windowless except for the door. Having curtains on the door gives me an opportunity to add fabric, color and pattern but these curtains are functional for us as well. The front of our house gets the hot, Deep South afternoon sun and it heats up the whole house and puts a strain on the AC. being able to pull the panels for a couple of hours in the late afternoon is a huge energy saver and affects our power usage and bill. It's a very old fashioned idea to have drapes over doors and predates central heat and air. In the winter I find pulling it on windy days helps with drafts and the heating bill too. I like the look but I also appreciate the conservation/economic aspect. 

After:


Decoberry kindly gifted the panels to me to try. I am honestly so impressed with the quality and the pricepoint. They sell their panels in pairs which I love. It is discouraging, for me anyway, to find a curtain I like online and then realize I need to double the price. Another thing that really impressed me is that they are so well packaged that there is barely a wrinkle when you unbox them and hang them. Less steaming makes me happy. I think we can all agree on that!

I've been scrolling their website to see what would look good in my library - so many choices!
What about you? Do you like colorful, patterned curtains? I'm definitely a fan after this experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment