Tuesday, January 9, 2024

When You Don't get Much Snow...

We don't get much snow in the Deep South. I do love a surprise snow and a day off from our regular activities (we just stay home because we really aren't equipped to deal with much snow or ice!) Even when we get a snow day we don't usually have enough to build a snowman so I decided to create one from some moss spheres that I had. Everything looks so empty when the Christmas decorations come down and this helps to fill the void. 

I started with a blue and white planter that I had. Any planter, even a terra cotta pot, will work. You just want something that your largest moss sphere sits on easily. I put a piece of floral foam in the pot and then wedged some used packaging materials that I had to secure it. 


Next I pushed a metal stake I had on hand into the floral foam. I happened to have this piece from the garden center but you could use a dowel rod or a bamboo stake. I chose to slide my spheres on the rod without using any glue because I wanted to be able to use my moss spheres in other ways in the future. 


Then I  added the remaining spheres. You could do this in a smaller version as well - simply adjust the sizes of your spheres and use smaller planters or pots. You could vary the sizes and make a grouping or create some small ones as gifts. 



I found a wicker top hat ornament at Christmas and I knew it would work perfectly for my moss snowman and work with my style. I removed the ribbon and berries and then just perched it on top of the top moss sphere. I made sure my metal rod stuck up at the top just enough to hold the hat. 



If you can't find a little top hat you could easily create one by covering a small paper cup and a cardboard circle with sheet moss or use clay pot and saucer glued together. I'm thinking about making a smaller version, placing it in a clay pot and creating a clay pot "top hat" for it. 
You could also add twig arms, glue on buttons or small pebbles for the face. You could get very creative. 


I only added a green bow and kept things simple because I will pull it apart and use the moss spheres for other things.


If you don't have supplies on hand they are easy to find at craft stores and on Amazon.
The following are what I used or similar:
4" moss sphere
I thrifted my blue and white planter but you can use any base you like for this. 

I hope you get to build a snowman.





No comments:

Post a Comment