Tuesday, March 3, 2015


 That's what the kids say when there is an awkward silence.
I am kind of expecting an awkward silence here on the blogfront!!
I did disappear quite some time ago!
It wasn't intentional - it just sort of happened!
In my defense - I have posted on Instagram on a regular basis.
And Facebook from time to time!
And Biscuit has been patiently waiting for you to come back.
One thing I did during the silence was paint my downstairs powder room.
Of all the rooms in my house it was probably the one that needed painting the least. But the trim did need  painting and I knew that the walls wouldn't look as fresh after the trim got spiffed up and then I found a mirror at GW and off I went. I couldn't resist the mirror and then it was the domino effect.
  The walls were striped before but I had to patch, sand and prime
 in order to start again with white as the base.
 The trim was painted glossy white. Then I marked off the stripes with blue tape.
The trick to a perfect, crisp stripe is to paint the edges of the blue tape with the base color. It's an extra step but totally worth it as I've mentioned before here and here.
I had the greige-y color for the stripes. I used a Sherwin Williams Color-To-Go sample from my favorite, go-to SW color strip! It's the one with Urbane Bronze through Shoji White.
These colors just work!
 The darker stripes are Intellectual Gray.
And the cabinet went from black to SW Anonymous.
 Right off that same color strip. 
Grainy iPhone picture :( and bad lighting because I am always painting in the middle of the night.
I found that great rag-y rug at Wal Mart on clearance.
 It's the perfect price and punch of color. We can't have nice rugs- see dog shaming post on IG.
Here is the mirror that started the whole thing. Fabulous faux bamboo.
It was dingy brown when I found it at GW for $15.00
 but a quick coat of SW Ryegrass and it was looking fine.
it was too tall to fit between the vanity backsplash and
the light fixture that hung above the previous mirror.
Oy. Now what?
Nothing to do but move the light fixture.
Seemed so obvious to me but I think that others in this household thought
 this "bargain"  mirror was not worth the trouble it was causing.
 Not me.
 I was like a dog with a bone.
Determined to make this all come together.
The solution?
We installed ( We, nothing. My husband is the one who did the electrical "stuff" - I just went with him to Home Depot 3 out of the 5 trips it took to get things right. The first guy we talked to may or may not have had a clue about the fixture we bought and it's requirements for hanging hardware) a recessed light in the ceiling above the vanity. This turned out so amazingly and nothing is lost in the looks department because the vanity is large enough for a lamp. Win - win!
Of course the new light made the old faucet look terrible.
( If you give a mouse a cookie....)
Thank goodness for the ridiculously nice, new faucet and towel bar found
 in the original packaging at the Habitat for Humanity Re-store.
 I haven't found anything since but that new faucet and I were meant to be.
Next up - fabric for the window treatment and hanging some artwork.
Spoiler alert; I apparently dreamed up a fabric that I want for the itty, bitty window
that doesn't exist in the whole fabric world.

No comments:

Post a Comment