Wednesday, March 20, 2019

#thriftwithus

Pretty exciting stuff happening over on Instagram!
My friend @ashlyngoldberg and I are starting a new hashtag and we hope you will join/follow along.

#thriftwithus

We both love the art of thrifting.
Yes, I said art.
 I do think it is an art, a talent, and takes a bit of education 
to find the true gems out there. 
And there are so many great treasures to be found.



We like to say we are "thrifters extraordinaire."
It's fun but we both have very "real" reasons we are drawn to thrifting. 
They are pretty similar and we like to find some of the same things
but our styles, "looks" or whatever you want to call it are not exactly the same. 
That's a testimony to the diversity of items that can be found. 

There is a wonderful interview on Alison Giese Interiors blog with Ashlyn that give such insight to her "whys" of thrifting. 



I love to thrift for so many reasons.
I consciously started years ago when I was about 20.
It really started before - all my life - because my mom would find amazing pieces or things people no longer wanted and refinish, reupholster, reuse, repurpose, etc. 
I had a few small trinkets I picked up when I tagged along. 
Then a friend of hers started a collection of green depression glass for me when I was in about 6th grade. (I still have that collection.)



It is an economical way to have the things in my home that I find beautiful.
It also allows me to be a relaxed hostess. We love to have people over and nothing in my house is "precious" or has to be worried about. We use it all. I want everyone to be comfortable. I want my sweet pup Cooper to snuggle on the couch with me. I want visiting kiddos to pile up on the couch with snacks and cokes to watch movies or play games. I don't want to worry about something that was expensive and I don't want anyone else to feel uncomfortable in my home either.



I want my home to be attractive, welcoming and relaxed
 and I think that the thrifted pieces I use accomplish this. 




It's also a very earth friendly way to decorate. 
There are so many great pieces out there with style and great craftsmanship that can't be equaled by many new purchases out there.
And let's be honest -  if something lives with US for a minute
 it's going to have some "patina" right away (patina is a nice word for wear and tear!)
Many thrifted pieces come "pre-patina-ed" :)
Some do not. 
I have bought plenty of new items in the original packaging or with store tags still on them.
But my main quest is finding wonderful vintage items to give my home the evolved, collected over time and (I hope) unique and personal look I love.



I also like that if I decide I'm not loving a piece or find something I like better that I can simply sell it, give it to friends, or donate it back!



Just last week 2 college girls came 
and picked up a dresser I was using in my kitchen
 to give it a new home. 
They were so excited to get it and I was excited to pass it on.
 I had found it, fixed it, used it, loved it and now I could share it!

We want to see everyone's great finds!! 
And get excited with you. So "hashtag" along with us:

Here are the #thriftwithus hashtag details: 
Follow @ashlyngoldberg and @madebymolliesmom. Thrifters extraordinaire. 
Play along by sharing your favorite thrifted finds using #thriftwithus 

Show us your thrifted treasures. Use #thriftwithus to share your thrifted finds styled in their new home. Each week we will feature our favorite pics on our feeds. We look forward to seeing what you can dig up and use and enjoy in your home. 



2 comments:

  1. I concur with everything you said about "thrifting". Some of the coolest things I own are from poking around at Church second hand stores or a Goodwill. I have been able to furnish many a dorm room on a shoestring. Love the #thriftwithus hashtag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! My house is probably 90% thrifted!! My favorites are definitely the things I found out thrifting :) and yes, Mollie moved 6 or 7 times (maybe more - yikes!) in college and we furnished everyplace form thrift stores just painting and recovering to make it cute!!

      Delete