Tuesday, February 4, 2020

MidLife....

I can remember being intrigued with the term 'middle age' when I was very young. 
If someone said they were middle aged
 then I thought they were literally at the half-way mark of their life!!
 If you were 35, and said you were middle aged, then 70 was going to be it!! 
Luckily it does not work that way!!

That being said, I'm now in the older half more than the younger
 and I recently listened to a fun, new to me podcast - Midlife Matters!

I happened to start with an interview with one of my favorite bloggers, Emily A Clark, whom I've followed for years! I'm sure many of you can say the the same thing. 

She spoke about design - not about being middle aged, BTW! 
And she's definitely younger that I am!
 But so many podcasts and bloggers who are big time right now have little children and are young and it's getting harder for me to relate to their ideas and areas of influence. 
We are just in different places in our lives.

There were so many great ideas that the podcasters (is that a word?) 
and Emily chatted about. 
And it made me feel good about some design choices I have made along the way because I have reached the point in life where I am doing me and I'm not going to be changing things up or following trends. If something I have is trendy it just means it finally came back around as a trend! Cause it's been here all along!

That's really what Emily shared. 
But here are my "take aways" anyway!

Emily talked about using furniture in rooms or ways 
that may not be the original intent. 
I'm so on board. 
I have a china cabinet in my master bathroom for one thing. I put it in there during my Fall 2016 One Room Challenge. I bought the traditional china cabinet for that room. 
It was never intended for a dining room. 


There isn't a closet in this master bathroom so this china cabinet stores a multitude of necessary items and looks gorgeous at the same time!


I've also recently inherited some family furniture and I'm going to need to get creative to be able to use find ways to use it in our home.

Emily stated that she thinks we will be seeing more monochromatic rooms in 2020 as far as painting goes. Rooms where the windows, trim, doors, walls - everything - are painted the same color!! 
I did this in my Library when I refreshed it in the Spring of 2016! I still love it. The walls were actually already black. I had painted my dining room black over 10 years prior to that but left the trim white. Then I took out the dining table and added black bookcases. Then I painted everything glossy black from top to bottom except the ceiling.
 (And honestly I'm toying with a color for the ceiling one of these days!!)


 PS. The wood faux bamboo china cabinet was purchased for the Library and waaaay after this room had been a dining room :)

There was also a quick mention about "white kitchens" and if they are "out" and I've got more on that coming on another day!!

All the ladies on the podcast chatted about their homes and open concept vs. traditional room layouts - you know, walls, doors, lower ceilings. 
Emily mentioned that the traditional dimensions of the rooms in her house attracted her. That she can stand on a ladder and reach the ceiling, trim work, etc. to paint things herself. Or hang pictures or whatever. 


I've always wanted  to live in a loft or non-traditional building as a house. But now that I'm "mid" and not as young and bend-y I like the ability to reach things from a stepladder and I'm more concerned with heating spaces and such. I've had a very traditional "5, 4 and a door"  home for many years and I had to make it work. 
We are thankful for it, we love it,  and we couldn't move to follow housing trends.


I'm looking forward to listening to more of the Midlife Matters podcasts 
and their very relatable subject matter. 
 Are you a Podcast person? 


2 comments:

  1. Well what a nice write up! Thanks for listening to the podcast. I should've just used your home for reference :) I love the cabinet in your bathroom. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - one of my best thrifting finds ever!! Thank you for commenting - I've loved your blog since forever!!!

      Delete