Saturday, February 15, 2020

Round (Coffee) Table

My new-to-me, very, very old coffee table is round!
I've never had a round coffee table before.

The round part of this new coffee table situation is
 a very old copper tray from Natchez, Mississippi.
My parents inherited it decades ago and now it has come to live at my house. 

 I have always loved this copper tray 
but I never gave the fact that it was circular much thought design-wise! 

My great aunt and uncle had a lower base designed for the tray as was the style when they used it in their 50's and 60's home. 
My mom had it on a very traditional base that was a bit taller but...

I prefer my coffee tables to be a bit taller than is the norm. 
I don't know why - it just works for us.


So I have put the gorgeous copper tray on a faux bamboo end table base
 that I had hanging around. 
The original color of the base was not good at all so I have quickly hit it 
with a bit of off-white spray paint.

 We figured we'd start there and see what we all think.


I've been trying a variety of layouts on top of the tray.
 A combination of things that need to be there to help us function in this room
 and pretty items to flatter the gorgeous copper color.


It's been fun playing around with the circular shape. 


Have you ever had a round coffee table?
Would you consider using a round coffee table in your space? 

I'm liking it!


In case you are curious.
There are a few unique things on the tray right now -
The bamboo boxes hold TV remotes and charging cords. 
The basket on the left is a Charleston Sweetgrass basket and there's a cluster of Low Country oyster shells in it.
The long skinny item with holes in it is a very old Cribbage Board that was my great uncles' and then my dads'.
Coffee table books rotate often - right now it's Mark D. Sikes Beautiful which is divine and Jenny Rose Innes book about Australian design which is fantastic. 
We use the blue and white chinoiserie saucers as coasters.
And the glossy green plant is a gardenia and is about to burst into bloom and smell amazing!


3 comments:

  1. Love the table - very curated look and that gardenia is the perfect green snap of color...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I’m enjoying playing around with what is going to stay on the tray. Some things are needed and some are just pretty!

    ReplyDelete