Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Staying Home. 10 Days Later and 10 Things I'm Thinking.

First. By the time I get this post edited it will probably be 12 days since my last post
but Covid19 time has a mind of its own.
I hope you and yours are well.

Second. Cooper thinks sheltering in place is the best thing ever. He's one happy pup. Many friends have said the same thing. Will our pups be depressed when we all suddenly start leaving the house for extended time again? 
My friend says her cat will celebrate. 
That's funny.

No clue about social distance :)

Third. This could make a lot of you feel better. I have seen a lot of posts about working from home, sharing spaces, spouses work stuff all over the kitchen/family room/dining room - wherever. 
I know everyone is happy to be working if they are able but stuff everywhere is annoying. 
Soooo, I share this to cheer everyone up - my husbands company sent him home with a portable office.
 Literally a trailer sitting in the driveway. I kid you not. Until this is over. 
Their work is essential and our house is now a Fed Ex pick up hub among other things. :)
 I would have never thought it possible. Now, it's our new "abnormal." 


(This picture really doesn't do it justice. Haha!)

He's out there all day long doing IDK what! 
He likes the commute. :)))))


Four. I feel that Italians are far more talented while sheltering in place than I could ever be. All of them. From the young children playing Cold Train on violins to Sopranos serenading Rome every night from their apartment balconies. And so much more. 
We've baked muffins. Just sayin'

Very good. Then add Hu Gems (vegan choc chips that are soooo good!) and yum!

Five. I really appreciate the people who have decided to find joy each day no matter what! I'm cleaning out my IG feed and moving on from negative, blame filled accounts. It's liberating. You do this Covid time however you need to (and I'm not judging - cry, rant, be sad, whatever you need for you. And yesterday was a weird day but still I choose upbeat) but I have to move on. There is so much positive, resilient, faith-in-mankind-building action going on that I'm choosing to soak that up. As I mentioned in a previous post - I've been in a similar situation before and there is good to be found along the way. This Covid19 situation comes at almost the end of quite the year for us (see that explanation here) and I know that has definitely affected how I view things moving forward. 

Six. I'm also getting a good laugh from all of the funny memes. I think laughter is good medicine. I've seen people post some major rants and are offended because they feel that people who post these funny things don't have people in high risk categories in their families or aren't taking this seriously or are uninformed. I enjoy the laugh and move on. They are just trying to enjoy a smile or a laugh. I don't think they are being mean. It's just funny. And people have time to think up funny stuff.
And I get this is serious. Believe me. 
My dad is in "lock down" at an assisted living 9 hours away.
My husband is in an essential industry and Mollie is immunocompromised. 
The only place Mollie's been in weeks is the backyard!
He has to come and go. Packages are coming and going. 
So we are living in separate spaces. He has the office in the driveway and uses the master bedroom and bath. He doesn't come in the kitchen 
and has shoes that are for in the house only as he passes through to his spaces.
We wipe down door handles, stair railings, etc that he touches when he comes in the house. 
We have to social distance in our own home. 
But silly, funny things happen because of this and we laugh. 
Watcha gonna do?


Seven. We are cleaning out, getting things done and working in the yard. We have had to use what we have because we can't make 3 Home Depot runs to get what we need mid-project. Some projects work out and some are to the point where the rest happens after Covid19 lockdown ends and we can get the "whatever" we need to move on.  It's okay. Are there a lot of IG worthy pictures to post? Nope. But it's okay. The pace is nice and working with what we have is thrifty and "green."  I keep thinking of "making do" stories that my grandparents (who weathered far worse times in history) used to tell. I think I had lost some of that can-do spirit and I hope this Covid19 learning curve gives me a dose of it!

This is a little area I put together in the backyard using things I had on hand. The table base was in the donate pile pre-Covid. We had the outdoor plywood scrap. Green spraypaint- check. I divided some perennial ferns to fill the elephant planter. The bamboo mirror is a vintage plastic piece I had on the porch. And the lantern was purchased years ago and I added a strand of Christmas lights. 
And one of these days we will use the table for a tray of drinks and snacks when friends hang out at our fire pit again!


Eight. I am surprised at what I realllllllly miss and what I don't. 
How about you? 
There are things that we did/bought/ate/attended (fill in the blank) every week that really weren't as important as I thought.
But there are a couple of things that I do miss and will really enjoy/appreciate when the privilege returns. I hope I remember they are privileges not necessities. 

This meme IS me. If you've been here for my normal content you know it's usually thrifting, painting, and such.

Nine. Technology is amazing, and while often frustrating to amateurs like me, can you imagine this CV19 thing without cell phones and wi-fi and Zoom and FB live? This would have been very different 20 -25 years ago. We would have truly been isolated. And that's just the personal stuff. Technology has saved many lives and allowed people to help our economies as well and so much more. Thank you to the people keeping all that going and making sure things are working for hospitals, our children who are learning online and spouses working from trailers in driveways doing IDK what :)

Ten.
I feel, from personal experience, that we are changed by life events around us that we cannot control. Some, like being isolated due to Covid19 pandemic, are huge and far, far beyond our control. Others are big in our personal lives but don't affect others. I think the way we handle adversity is the same whatever the size it comes in- it's just the way we each deal with things. I try to take things in stride and not become overwhelmed. (This does not mean that I can't have a royally huge, messy meltdown! I can. I do!) But I try to solve issues a bit at a time instead of reacting to the whole, big, imposing issue at once. I think that having faith makes this possible. I hope that when we can be closer than 6 feet again, we will be shoulder to shoulder in our local places of worship. We've learned a little bit about time through this. I hope "I don't have time" to go to church/take my kids to church  isn't heard as much. I think it will be much easier for all of us to move back in to our lives and heal from this if we are sharing our faith instead of placing blame.
 How the children of today deal with world issues as adults will stem from what is modeled today.
Are they going to be grabbing up toilet paper and hoarding things that people in need really need or will they be helpers, encouragers, people who have faith?
That's up to us right now.


We are thankful to be healthy and comfortable at home with food to eat.
We are thankful for everyone who is working hard to help us return to our previous, social lives - truck drivers, doctors, nurses, grocery employees, parents who have kept their kids home, anyone who has done their part, big or small. 

So, that's what I've got right now.
I wish you peace and hope. And comfort.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!
    I love your attitude, I love your humor, I love Cooper's sweet face, I love your messages, especially about adversity and how we deal with small and big ones. And i know that we would have the best long talk ever if we were lucky enough to be sitting across from each other at a coffee shop. And i admit i haven't see that many Covid19 memes but the one you shared is ME too! who would ever have suspected that a random trip to a thrift store would be such a spark of joy that we would miss? I think when this is all over, we all will have learned some important lessons about what really matters.
    Take care of yourself and your adorable family.
    much love
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, Thank you! We would have the best long chat ever if we were lucky enough to end up in the same little coffee shop! I think that we have the opportunity to learn many lessons through this about what is important and priorities. I hope they "stick" and we cherish our new found focus! I wish you well through this and perhaps thrifting jaunts will return soo. Stay well, my friend. Marcie

    ReplyDelete