Tuesday, June 16, 2020

In The Garden




That is where we have been these last 12 weeks or so ...




in the garden.
I've always loved to garden. But this year it has been our refuge/escape/happy place!
I thought I'd share a little of what we've been doing.

Fresh air and sunshine always helps my mood!
I'm a long time gardener. I spent every Summer with my Nana and she could put a dead stick in the SC lowcountry soil and grow a tree!
I always think of the line in Steel Magnolias where Shirley McLaine as Ouiser Boudreaux explains why she gardens: Ouiser: "Because I'm an old Southern woman and we're supposed to wear funny looking hats and ugly clothes and grow vegetables in the dirt. Don't ask me those questions. I don't know why, I don't make the rules!" 

My beautiful grandmother (in a dress and her Keds designated for garden work) wore an old hat of my uncles to garden and mow her large yard - which she preferred to do herself even though everyone around her tried to beat her to it. 
She didn't like the marks that riding lawn mowers left in the grass :)

And this year Mollie has jumped in and joined the gardening game!
So, here's to another generation of gardening Southern women!
(It was a result of having to shelter in place but I'll take it.)

Mollie has done the bulk of the planting 
and I have been cleaning up and painting all of the garden furniture. 

There are regular updates on our trough veggie garden on my IG highlights!

I normally have a very tight color theme to my annuals. (and perennials for that matter!) This year, due to the pandemic, we had to take what we could get. A couple of the flats we were able to drive up/pick up were "assorted." I never, ever purchase an "unknown" color plant but this year we are enjoying the surprise of bloom color and are appreciating how they look beautiful to us because we are thankful to have them. Pandemic lesson right there! 





We have also been very appreciative of all of the perennials that we already had in our backyard. They gave us joy as they started peeking through the ground early this Spring. 





We are still working on a few more projects before we hang up our shovels and rakes
 and sit back and enjoy the backyard. 
I'll keep you updated!








No comments:

Post a Comment