Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Another Day (or Two) and Another Plant (or Two)

 

(Fittonia Albivenis or Nerve Plant)

As I mentioned the other day here on the blog and on my Instagram I always crave a way to continue the touch of green in January after the December holiday decorations come down. 

A lot of you have shared that you feel the same way. 

I've been buying a few houseplants to give the house a fresh feel in the middle of a lot of gray weather. It's hard to find the right houseplant for each spot. Unfortunately just liking the look of  a plant is not enough. 

Some need a lot of light (which my spots do not have to offer) so I have to look for plants that I like the look of and have lower light requirements. A lot of us are in the same situation apparently so here are my latest lower light requirement plants. 


The plant above was a hanging basket that I popped the wires off of and put in a thrifted planter. The tag said it liked low light (Fittonia Albivenis or Nerve Plant) and I'm trying to be diligent about opening the curtains across from it for at least a little while each afternoon. Fingers crossed that it will be happy in this spot.

One plant that I had been searching for is the ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia or Zanzibar Gem.) I started hearing about it early last year - people had left their offices, college dorms or apartments to lockdown somewhere for over a month (and longer) and left their ZZplants behind. They returned and they were not only alive but growing!

(ZZ Plant, Zanzibar Gem or Zamioculcas zamiifolia)

 I thought, "That's the plant for me!" I lucked into one for a good price the other day at my local Lowe's. I've tucked it in a blue and white planter and I'll keep you posted on how it does in my low light situation.

(Dracaena or Deremensis)

The other plant I purchased a couple of weeks ago is in the Dracaena family which is known for being an easy indoor plant and great for helping indoor air quality. I loved the chartreuse green of this particular variety. 


They have definitely brought a little life and freshness 
where we were missing our holiday greenery.
Any good plant recommendations? I need low light options!

No comments:

Post a Comment