Friday, January 29, 2021

"Monkey See, Monkey Do" Has A Fancy Name!

 Singerie is basically the "fancy" name for "monkey see, monkey do!"


Singerie is a French word for “Monkey Trick” and is the name given to arts depicting monkeys aping human behavior. The Singerie was popular as far back as Ancient Egypt, and, in medieval times, scribes frequently drew monkeys in the margins of manuscripts to mimic man and his foibles. Flemish engraver Pieter van der Borcht introduced the Singerie around 1575 in a series of prints and this encouraged other Flemish artists to begin depicting monkeys dressed in human attire. By the 18th century, Singeries found their way to France where they became extremely popular.You can read more about the history of Singerie here.

Monkeys aren't for everyone but I definitely enjoy a touch of Singerie in my home. I campaigned long and hard as a pre-teen to be given a pet monkey for Christmas. It was a hard 'NO!' so I compensated for a while with a stuffed toy monkey named Magnolia and now I've moved on to some thrifted Chinoiserie monkeys.

I love the soft colors of my "bookish" monkey but I have a couple of blue and white Chinoiserie monkeys too. 


This guy is the "heavy lifter" (he was my first Singerie find!) and has ended up holding a variety of things over the years - sponges by the sink, Christmas ornaments, mini pumpkins and more. 


He does some of his best work hanging out on the bar cart and offering up citrus fruits!


My other blue and white Chinoiserie monkey is a vase. He hung out in the kitchen over the Christmas holidays.


When I redid my downstairs Powder Room for the Spring 2020 One Room Challenge I gave a not so charming lamp a makeover and now the monkeys on the lamp look rather dapper. Be sure to go see the lamps' before picture on that post - it's amazing what white spray paint can do.


I'm always on the look out for Singerie pieces when I'm thrifting.

What about you? Any monkey business at your house?





2 comments:

  1. Singerie is definitely growing on me! I've never seen a vase like yours. Whenever thrifting is safe again I'll add this to the hunt list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find these cheeky little guys very often but that makes it all the more exciting when I do!! I do miss popping in and out of Thrift Stores regularly too! Good luck on the hunt - I hope you find some Singerie.

    ReplyDelete