Monday, June 28, 2021

Love for Tennis

Wimbeldon begins today and I'm excited that it is going to happen this year! 

#wimbeldon2021

This has always been my favorite sporting event to watch on TV. I'll watch the Opens but Wimbeldon is quintessentially the epitome of traditions and classic style merged together in a sporting event played by world class athletes. It's a piece of cultural heritage and has almost a cult like following in it's avid watchers (many who do not even play tennis!)

I played tennis in high school and proudly wore my Varsity letters from both High Schools I attended. That was a long time ago but the love for the game has not diminished. 

 

via

I still love classic tennis whites and really like my tennis shoes to be solid white #oldschool

via

It's hard to beat tennis whites with a lightweight v-neck sweater. In my day we were all about the Izod pullover! (the Wimbeldon dress code states white tennis wear and goes on to say "White does not include off white or cream."

One of the Wimbeldon traditions to stand the test of time is that spectators enjoy strawberries and cream as the number one refreshment. How lovely (in comparison to nacho chips with fake cheese on top that is offered at every event in the US!!)


I'm kicking off the first day of matches with some strawberries and cream om my porch with Round One playing on the TV! It's been two years so I'm here for every round!

The courts at Wimbeldon are free of advertisements and it is the only Grand Slam patronized (without fail) by the Royal family. Apparently, they are ardent fans. 

We love tennis on this side of The Pond and quite a few US Presidents have been tennis players. JFK and Jackie reportedly loved to play tennis as did most of the Kennedy family.

U.S. Presidents Who Played Tennis

via

I'm excited to see the "classiest international sporting event" kick off this week and I plan to enjoy some strawberries and cream while I watch. What about you? Are you a fan of Wimbeldon? Will you watch and eat strawberries and cream or maybe the Pimm's Cup cocktail that is also synonymous with Wimbeldon is more your speed! Whichever way you go the world definitely has a LOVE affair with Wimbeldon!

No comments:

Post a Comment