Thursday, August 5, 2021

Lamp Magic

 Lamp Magic - not Magic Lamps (like the kind with a Genie inside!) Lamps can add such an important touch to a room but they can be pricey. There are so many choices and styles plus add in decorative or colored lamp shades and the possibilities (and decisions) can be endless.  

But just like every other item in my home, I like to see if I can find an affordable and, hopefully, thrifted choice*. But sometimes those lamps just need help. 

Never underestimate the power of glossy white paint when it comes to lamp dilemmas. These are just a couple of examples of "lamp rescues" that I've done. 


This rather regal looking camel lamp is one of my favorite white paint "transformations."
Here is his before. Brown lamps with gold brushed accents just don't work for my style so I paint my lamps - if the before is more your style, please don't be offended!! 


He happily lives on my screened porch bar cart - I just taped off the parts that shouldn't get paint on or in them and spray painted using my favorite spray paint. I know there are environmental issues with spray paints as well but a little spray painting keeps this lamp and all of it's electrical parts out of a landfill so I still consider it a plus. 




Last Summer I refreshed our main level powder room as part of the One Room Challenge and used a fun monkey lamp I'd been saving for just the right spot.


And the before:


I have a very difficult time leaving behind an elephant lamp when I go thrifting.
 I have a couple tucked here and there.
Just before my #thethriftedporch reveal I looked over and noticed this elephant lamp was still brown (it also still had the GW price sticker on it - welcome to my world!)


Freshened up with a coat of white spray paint and a thrifted white wicker lampshade. So much fresher and perfect on the porch. I think the white lamp shows up better and the details are more noticeable in the lighter color.



Not a great picture but he didn't look too 'great' when I found him.
Glossy white paint and a thrifted wicker shade made all the difference. 
Sorry for the holiday picture but that's probably when my kitchen was clean and photo ready! :)


I often use thrifted wicker and rattan lampshades on my lamps that I spray glossy white because I think the warmth and texture is a nice counterpoint to the lamps but refreshed, thrifted lamps are the PERFECT place to use one of my Faux DIY Pleated Lampshades. 





*Always check your thrifted lamp wiring for any safety issues. It is very easy to rewire most older lamps using rewiring kits. If you don't think you want to attempt rewiring yourself then it is not too expensive to have a lamp rewired at a local lamp shop. Even with the expense of rewiring, most thrifted lamps will still be far more affordable than a new purchase. Plus they often have a lot of character and it is environmentally sound as well to reuse a lamp that would be thrown out.
You just have to read the specs and choose the size that best fits your needs. And there are a ton of help videos on the internet if seeing helps you more than reading directions!

5 comments:

  1. These lamps are so cute - that they were thrifted and redone makes it even better. Great job on all of these. We all need more room in the garage for monkey finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and so true!!! LOve those monkey finds!! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful upcyling project! Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these makeovers! Will have to be on the lookout for the perfect lamp for my first attempt. So happy to see up cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! There are some amazing lamps out there that can look high end with a little love!

    ReplyDelete