Thursday, January 27, 2022

Feeling Green (Color Theory)

I have always been intrigued by the psychology of colors. Especially their impact on how they make us feel when they are used in our environment. I had quite a few college classes dealing with this - both when psychology was my minor, in art classes when I changed my major to textile design and then in a marketing/advertising focused class or two when I was a journalism major. Perhaps I should have taken a class on committing to a major. No need, my dad handled it by letting me know it was time to wrap things up as my life as a college student was coming to an end. Or at least the parental funding was!!

It all worked out but I still think about color psychology often, especially at the beginning of the year when paint companies and designers make their color trend forecasts or when I'm about to start a project at my home. So, I thought that perhaps this intrigues you as well and maybe we'd all like to know more about why we are drawn to certain colors. 

I could have gone in ROY G BIV or rainbow order but I keep seeing the statement "Green is having a moment this year" or people stating that they are really drawn to green lately. So I'm starting with green. I love green, I use it a lot and I think green as a color is great but an even better addition to a room is a green living element - plant, flowers, branches. 

Green is the color of nature. It is considered calming - it is actually shown to slow human metabolism and the result is a calming effect. Many feel that green reduces stress. So now that we know it's calming, reduces stress and connects us with the outside is it any wonder that we are seeing green everywhere right now?? If ever we needed these three benefits from a color it is NOW!

Over the past few months, four major paint brands announced that some type of green would be its color of the year for 2022. Behr went with a light sea-glass green called Breezeway; PPG Paints chose a neutral gray-green called Olive Sprig; Benjamin Moore picked a soft sage green called October Mist; and Glidden chose a creamy plant-inspired green called Guacamole. It’s no coincidence that the names and descriptions of all these shades hint at something natural or organic. According to environmental psychologist Sally Augustin, PhD, principal at Design With Science, this influx of green likely stems from our deep-rooted connection to nature and its supportive qualities. via wellandgood.com

These are some "green scenes" from my own home. I use a lot of green - painted and live. I almost think of green as a neutral in many of my spaces. 


Do you use green in your home? Are you thinking that it might be time to add some green to your spaces. Do you like plants? 

I love plants and I have a theory about having them in our homes. I hear people say that they don't have live plants in their rooms because they don't have a green thumb and they die. Well, when you buy a $10.00 floral bouquet at the grocery store you have zero expectations of it lasting more than a week. Even if you don't have much of a green thumb a $15 plant is going to last a month or two at least. And some of them might surprise you and do better than you think. I have a pretty green thumb but I do lose plants from time to time. And some do better than expected. They add so much to your space - take the risk!


This $8.00 Jasmine from Trader Joe's has doubled in size in 2 weeks and is about to burst into blooms. I just make sure it is not completely dried out and has good light. It has surprised me!
And the topiaries (first picture) on my green bamboo table on the porch? I call them "faux-piaries" because they are all fake - pretty good looking ones and they add a nice touch of green to a room. 

Here is a favorite green from Sherwin Wiliams: Talipot Palm . It's about to show up on a small project at my house.


And our porch floor is Lounge Green. I get asked all the time!

Not sure about the power of green paint. Look at this before and after!



Go green! That's my advice :)


2 comments:

  1. No matter what the color scheme might be for my design projects, greens and blues have made an appearance. Always good to bring some outside in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - always greens and blues no matter what.

      Delete