Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Hello Yellow! (Color Theory)

Yellow might be the most underused and underappreciated color in interior design. It is often considered the brightest and most energizing of the warm colors. It’s associated with happiness and sunshine. It can make a dark space more cheerful and it is the color associated  with hope and optimism. Sounds good to me!!


Light yellows also give a more calm feeling of happiness than bright yellows.


Dark yellows and gold-hued yellows can sometimes look antique and be used in rooms with a more traditional use or look. 

(If I was going to fall in love with a very expensive couch that is totally impractical for the way we live, then this ONE from Ballard would be IT!!!!! I saw it from across the showroom and it was love at first sight :)))  But doesn't that warm golden velvet just welcome you in? I think this color is so appealing!)

You can see that I'm drawn to this warm, mustardy yellow. I used this velvet ribbon at Christmas and it looked great with everything!


It's also the background color of my favorite tiger print pillow.



We have my favorite "yellow", a soft gold, from Sherwin Williams called Anjou Pear in our downstairs Powder Room and I used the same paint to paint a gingham rug on the screened porch. But If you aren't sure you are ready to commit to yellow in such a permanent  way then little touches will cheer things up too!



Try flowers or a bowl of lemons to add a dash of yellow. You can use the lemons so that's a bonus!



Or you can toss one golden yellow velvet pillow in a side chair.




I thrifted these yellow glazed jars and they look great filled with greenery and tucked in different spots around the house. Since they were thrifted it's not a big commitment or investment.


“There’s no doubt about it—yellow is a color that lifts one's spirits,” 
says designer Bunny Williams.

Go big or go small with yellow but add a touch to your home because who doesn't want to have their spirits lifted when they arrive home?

Be sure to read all the other Color Theory posts!
Feeling Green here.


3 comments:

  1. I love yellow/ mustard and am happy to see it having a 'moment again. Will be looking for some yellow home accessories in the stores! Pairs well with ble and white and red that I like as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks great with so many colors! Good luck finding some yellow accessories to add to your home!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I have a mustardy yellow confit pot and now I'm inspired to pull it out and add some fresh (or faux!) greenery! Julia W

    ReplyDelete