Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Chinoiserie Carpet Balls


Carpet Balls are pretty much just what they sound like - they were originally used for playing a bowling type game inside on carpet. The game originated in Scotland (according to most sources) in the 19th century.


 The game is played much like Bocci, Boules or British Lawn Bowling - just inside on carpet. The porcelain balls were originally painted with plaid, stripe or small flower designs in greens and reds. 


I'm not sure when the chinoiserie designs began appearing on them but all colors and designs of carpet balls have become very popular collectors items.


 They can range in price from a few dollars at a thrift store to hundreds for very old celadon glazed ones. 


I have found all of mine in thrift stores for just a few dollars each. 
I don't see them often but I grab them when I do. 


Be sure to check local vintage shops, eBay and Etsy as well.
 Check online auction/estate sale spots like Auction Ninja
I've seen them at estate sales in person and online.


If  you haven't had any luck thrifting some or finding any vintage ones 
new chinoiserie carpet balls are readily available as a decor accent. 
I'll link some below. 




These are slightly larger 4" carpet balls and come in a set of 3 from Amazon.






2 comments:

  1. I had no idea those were called carpet balls. Learned something this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete