Friday, June 24, 2022

Where The Wild Things Are (Color Theory)

I had a little color theory series going earlier in the year and life got in the way! I do plan to finish it up but I decided to stick this post in (that I had near completion) right now because of a fun animal print collaboration I'm in on IG! 

Not exactly true color theory subjects but I decided to include Animal Prints simply because I personally love them. Maybe too much - we will see :)


I have a group of IG friends who feel the same way and we will joke from time to time that "leopard is a neutral" and "never too many animal prints!" Jenna Lyons was quoted as saying "As far as I'm concerned, leopard is a neutral." How do YOU feel about animal prints?

 



(This tiger print pillow from Annabel Bleu looks good literally everywhere!!)



I love a great zebra print rug (mine are faux!) and have them in more than one spot. I have an amazing new one in a softer gray in my entry way and a fabulous bold black and white one that I thrifted in my Library. I think they are different enough to use side by side. You can read all the zebra rug details here and here.


At one point I had an indoor/outdoor zebra rug on my screened in porch. It was a great online buy years ago and looks like a hooked rug. 



I've got this fun zebra fabric waiting  in my "stash" while I decide where I might use it. 

Tigers, Zebras and ... Leopard print!! Interestingly enough what you call this spotted animal print seems to be generational and not because we are able to tell one spotted animal from another zoologically. I say "leopard print" but many younger people call it "cheetah print!"  There is a difference - leopards have rosette markings and cheetahs have solid spots! We do tend to use the terms interchangeably in the design world. 


Some people feel strongly about unnaturally colored animal prints but I do not draw the line there - I like a blue leopard print or turquoise zebra print. I've used them both and more!
I love this blue leopard chair that came from Tortoise and Hare Vintage in Chattanooga TN. I've got a bright tiger print pillow tossed in it (Annabel Bleu again!) Makes for a very fun corner in my family room.



My kitchen curtains are an orange and coral leopard spot print. They are fun and bright but still a little understated because they read like a texture from a distance.

You don't have to make a big commitment to using leopard print in your home. I use these inexpensive (under $10) fleece throws on our porch to add a little animal print to our screened porch. A touch of British Colonial, maybe?


(Note: the back pillow is a brown and white outdoor zebra print pillow!)

Remember how I said you don't have to make a big commitment to animal print in your home? Well, I don't have a problem with making a commitment to animal print! I slipcovered the cushions on the wicker couch in my family room in leopard fabric!!


I searched high and low, over several months, to find a nice looking, neutral indoor/outdoor leopard print that felt nice and I could afford. I spent hours on this. And then one day I discovered ShopFabric.com and there it was. I ordered samples of two different colorways and then ordered yards and yards of it. I love it. From a distance it reads as a neutral and it looks great on the dark wicker couch. And it was $7.98 a yard. I know!! Amazing.
(I've now purchased yardage from ShopFabric.com several times. Great service and quality each time!)


In case you were wondering why I was hoping to find an indoor/outdoor fabric that had a nice feel to it for the humans sitting on it :)


Cooper has always been a fan of leopard print!


You can add just a touch of animal print or you can go WILD!!

Do you decorate with animal prints? Do you wear animal prints (I do!!)?? I'd love to know!











1 comment: