Thursday, April 28, 2022

My Personal Style Has a Name!!

When people ask me what my home decor "style" is I never know what to answer. I'm a bit like a mutt - a little bit traditional, not quite grandmillenial, eclectic is pretty broad, I am definitely influenced by my Charleston and southern roots... so what is this mish mash I have going on at home?


I'm not on Tik Tok (apparently I'm in the minority) but they have given my "look" a name! 

It started out with a focus on the fashion influence but they have included home style in this as well. I mean, who doesn't watch Nancy Meyer's homes for the interiors?? We all have a favorite! So what is this style that's created a buzz...

I first saw this on the Today Show's IG:




And from Yahoo- More about this trend/style coined on Tik Tok:






COASTAL GRANDMOTHER!!
 But you don't have to be a grandmother. Or live at the beach!


This article by The Spruce is comprehensive and nails the essence of "Coastal Grandmother:"

If you're wondering what exactly the coastal grandmother style entails, we're here to give you the rundown. In sum, it's all about the little luxuries, including fresh flowers, scented candles, special antique pieces, and a bowl of lemons ever-present on the kitchen counter, of course.  via The Spruce





(I brought several of these back from the Bahamas. A little girl and her brother dive for them to sell the conch meat in them. The shells were for extra money. 
My bags weighed a ton. The shells were a deal - my overage for bags was not!!)


I'm thinking about coining the style term "Coastal Grandmother Chic" because, while I'm not claiming to be chic by any stretch, I don't want anything frumpy to be imagined either :)
I love the fashion and home decor looks behind this aesthetic. 





Lots of natural textures and white.
 I love that combo but I have to add in blue and white chinoiserie pieces to my 
"coastal grandmother (chic)" vibe. 






I'm not a trend follower but this Tik Tok trend has put a name to the aesthetic I've used for years - small pleasures, flowers and fruit, natural fibers, lots of white, rattan, wicker, seashells that I leave out year round and comfortably celebrating the every day.
Are you a Coastal Grandmother?



No comments:

Post a Comment