Sunday, April 3, 2022

Chinoiserie Easter Tree

This is the easiest of projects and a lot of fun because you can get really creative with the papers and ribbons you choose. I wanted some Easter decor that mixed well with my "look" so chinoiserie it is!

This is the same way that I made my chinoiserie and Audubon bird ornaments at Christmas time.

Gather your supplies:

Flat wooden shapes from craft stores, Wal mart or dollar stores. There are even some on Amazon! I used eggs and carrot shapes.

Mod Podge (here's a funny about Mod Podge!)

A foam brush to apply Mod Podge. I used Matte.

Gold spray paint (this is my favorite)

Sharp paper scissors

Papers to decoupage onto your shapes. I used marbleized papers for the carrot shapes. Marbleized papers can be found online and in the scrapbooking section of craft stores. The chinoiserie images were printed on copy paper. You can find copyright free images on museum websites. Just google it - "copyright free museum images" and the museum sites will pop up. Then just search the imagery you want- chinoiserie, florals, birds. It's all available but it takes a little bit of time is all. Print the images out and cut out your shapes. I cut my shapes slightly smaller than my wooden shape so that there is a border of gold around the edge. 


Paint both sides of your wooden shapes gold.



Cut your papers into the shapes you need. I make a paper template that is slightly smaller than my wooden shape so that there is a gold border around the edge. Trace the template on your paper and cut with sharp paper scissors.





Choosing the papers and images is the most fun.

Then simply use the Mod Podge to adhere your images. Paint the entire shape with Mod Podge. Press your image down smoothly and then immediately top coat with Mod Podge working from the middle out to get rid of air bubbles. If you get a small one you can smooth it with your brush. If it is stubborn just leave it alone - they tend to flatten out as they dry if they are small. 


I put decorative papers on both sides of my ornament shapes. They tend to turn when hanging and I place my Easter tree in front of a mirror so it looks like there are twice as many ornaments on there! Add ribbon to hang them with.

That's all there is to it. I put some branches that fell in last weeks storm in a mason jar so that they would stand up straight in my pot. You can add some pebbles to weight it down. I put plaster of paris in my jar and stuck the branches in there. I like the wild and whimsical look of the long branches. I put the jar of branches in a vintage brass planter and added green dyed spanish moss around it.

There is a reel on my Instagram showing the steps and supplies I used as well. 


I hope you make some! It was a fun, easy and creative project and I love the results.  I think they turned out "eggs- trordinary" and the carrots are 'marble-ous"  ;) 


2 comments: