Monday, August 19, 2019

Everything I Know About Thrifting - Why?



I receive a lot of comments on my Instagram account about my thrifted finds.

I'm the co-founder of a hashtag #thriftwithus 
because I love to see what everyone is finding on their thrifting outings!

People want to know where I go, how I find great stuff, 
how am I so "lucky" to find so many things and more.

details here 

So, I thought I would do a little series about my thrifting "habit" so to speak.

I'm starting with "why" which is different for everyone 
and my own motivation to thrift has been varied over the years.

1. I am genetically predisposed to go antiquing, thrift shopping and to take those finds and refinish, paint, recover, repair whatever "re-" they need. My mother was the queen of repurpose, reclaim, reuse before it was a "thing."  I grew up in a house full of family antiques and treasures my mother found and used in our home when I was growing up. 
I was born in Charleston SC where buying something new is unheard of when there is a family piece or hand me down that could be used, recovered, painted whatever.
So basically what I'm saying is the "why" is that I had no choice :)

details here

2. There have been times when a yard sale or thrifted piece was all that was in the budget. Period. 
Plus, I just think it makes financial sense. 
A lot of vintage pieces are, in fact, higher quality pieces than I could afford to buy new. 
And there are other things I want/need to spend money on.

details here 

3. I think thrifting is good for the environment and it's certainly good for my community.
 I thrift in some private stores that support local causes like drug rehab
 and in organizations like Goodwill that put people to work.
That's a win in my book.


porch details here

4. I enjoy it. I do not thrift for clothes because I do not have the patience for it but I have friends who find outrageous bargains in the clothing areas of thrift stores. I think certain areas are better than others for finding high quality or designer items but people find gems in the craziest places. 

details here and  here

5. We have a big dog - 80 pound puppy right now - and we always have had and will have dogs. They are family members and I worry less about losing something I thrifted if something happens (running, chewing, accident) than if I paid a fortune for it. I also want them in the house with me and sitting by me in the evening, etc. We are those people. 

6. We also have always had a lot of people in and out of our house and I want everyone to be relaxed and have a good time. I don't want anyone to feel like they can't put their feet up or get comfy on a throw pillow. I don't want to be an uptight hostess.


7. I like that I can feel guilt-free about "trading" something in if I find something I like better. #fickle  
If I paid top dollar for a decorating item or piece of furniture 
I would need to live with it for a loooong time. 
Not so if I've thrifted something for a good price. I can change it up guilt free.

details here 

I'll be sharing my thrifting tips, thoughts and more in the next few posts!
 Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. That's my comment above but I wasn't sure it would publish! LOL! Yes, you are the queen of thrifting but you also have a knack of putting everything together beautifully! Cathy Temple

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy seeing your posts and agree that you have a knack for thrifting. In my experience it's a numbers game. I'm more likely to find a great piece if I visit the stores often, though I have randomly walked in and scored big. Those instances are always a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Frequency is definitely key but some of my best finds are what I call “one time wonders!” 😂 I’ve found some great pieces in thrift stores and then returned many times and never find another thing.

      Delete
  3. Thank you!! You are so sweet! It is fun to try and take those thrifted treasures and make them work in a room!

    ReplyDelete