Friday, February 5, 2021

Forcing Spring

We are closing in on a year of being confined to our homes. 

I am anxiously waiting on Spring. I know I'm not alone in this and I'm always anxious for Spring to arrive any year!  I'm just extra excited this year!

I have always loved having forced bulbs in my house during the Winter months. Honestly, I never care if my paperwhites or amaryllis are potted up late and bloom in January instead of during the holidays. 

And I always buy hyacinths in the quaint little glass bulb jars when I find them in the stores. 

They are my favorite!    This one bloom is making the whole Library smell fabulous.


I love to put them around the house on tables near where we sit to relax, read or watch TV. 
They scent the entire room!


After the bulb blooms inside I plant it in my front yard 
(never in the back yard because bulbs are poisonous to dogs and Cooper would definitely dig them up!)

I ran to Wal Mart today for a few non-plant related necessities and treated myself to a spin through the garden center... and they were rolling out the forced Spring bulbs. Many are a $1 each. I grabbed a few to update my head or bust planters (I never know what to call them but I love them!) from their Christmas look below.


I love that Wal Mart has these forced bulbs each year because we don't always have the best luck with bulbs in the South. Using these inside and out in February also helps me be patient about planting a little longer!


I can't wait to get these potted up. I'll be sure to share on my Instagram account!



3 comments:

  1. Hi! Q: Do you plant your previously forced bulbs right after they finish blooming, or do you keep them till fall? (I’m also in GA) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Do you plant your previously forced bulbs into your garden right after they finish blooming, or do you wait until fall? I also live in GA. Thanks!! 🌺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plant them in the garden - I figure I don't have anything to lose!! I leave the leaves on the bulb and plant it right in the ground. Most of them come back- although lately i think the squirrels are digging some of them up. Some bulbs do better than others - I personally don't have good luck with tulips. If I can't plant right away I put them outside on the screened porch in the cold and plant them first chance I get. They are poisonous to dogs so mine have to go out front because my Cooper would definitely dig them up. I also do this with Easter Lilies.

      Delete