Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Coffee Table Books and a Christmas Tradition.

We started a new to us Christmas Eve tradition a few years ago (and it was a nice one to have the last couple of Christmases!) I've written about this before. I wanted to share again for two reasons. One is that once children are grown and some of the "Santa" traditions don't happen anymore there is a bit of a void to fill after Christmas Eve service and a special dinner. The second is that I have a lot of great books to share in case you want to start this year. 

And, really, there's a third reason - it's never too early to start this tradition even if you are still leaving cookies out for Santa!

The tradition is called Jolabokaflod and it originated in Iceland. 

"This tradition began during World War II once Iceland had gained its independence for Denmark in 1944. Paper was one of the few commodities not rationed during the war, so Icelanders shared their love of books even more as other types of gifts were short supply. This increase in giving books as presents reinforced Iceland’s culture as a nation of bookaholics.

Every year since 1944, the Icelandic book trade has published a catalogue – called Bókatíðindi (‘Book Bulletin’, in English) – that is sent to every household in the country in mid-November during the Reykjavik Book Fair. People use the catalogue to order books to give friends and family for Christmas.

During the festive season, gifts are opened on 24 December and, by tradition, everyone reads the books they have been given straight away, often while drinking hot chocolate or alcohol-free Christmas ale called jólabland."                                                               From Jolabokaflod.com

We are a family of readers (we love to eat, too, but we turned our dining room into a library - we are definitely readers!!) but this is still a great tradition if you have a few less enthusiastic readers in your family. There are books on every hobby and interest and for every age. And just like the Icelanders you may foster a love of reading. I would include comic books and make and do books like paper dolls if that's what it takes to get someone to read! And it doesn't hurt that hot chocolate or chocolate candy is involved! Books that favorite movies were based on would be a way to interest a reluctant reader as well. 

I purchase the books each year for everyone in the family. The first year or two they were surprises but now they start telling me about books they want months in advance! And, of course, I choose my own books carefully. 

I have gotten some beautiful books as my Jolabokaflod books and it's so much fun to look forward to opening them. 

Here are a few favorites:

Safari Style is one of the most elegant design books ever. I have wanted to go on safari since I was young but even if that's not on your bucket list this book will intrigue you. And there are design ideas that are relevant to any suburban, non safari style, home. If you love following Serena Crawford's adventures on IG then you'll love this book. 

Rattan is an all time favorite. It is full of amazing, inspirational photos and a great history of  fabulous rattan furniture produced all over the world.

I treated myself to Dragons and Pagodas: A Celebration of Chinoiserie last year. 

I loved Chrsitopher Spitzmiller's book, A Year at Clovebrook Farm. I love books that are structured that way. Do you?

I own all of India Hicks books. They are all so beautiful and so much fun to read. She is very entertaining. I have this one this one  (probably my favorite) and this one. I gave my mother this India Hicks book and she loved it. 

This Mark D. Sikes book is one I can look through over and over again. Sometimes I reread and sometimes I just soak up the beautiful images.

I gave my mother this book several years ago as she was quite the blue and white collector. Now the book is in my collection and I've enjoyed reading it and ooh-ing and aah-ing over the fabulous blue and white pieces in the book. 

And I must include this favorite. I don't know how many times I've read this book by the late, great Furlow Gatewood. This book is a must-own.

This is another book that I gave my mom and now have in our library. I love this book and I am excited to hear that Nora Murphy has another book coming out - 2023 I believe. 

I could go on and on but I can't end the list without gushing about how much I love Island Hopping by Amanda Lindroth. 

Oh, and any and all of the books by that boy from Perry, Georgia - James Farmer. I gave my mother one for Christmas and he wrote the sweetest note inside - not just an autograph! She loved his books. 

I hope you give (and get) books this Christmas. We love to give books for all occasions but I'm especially taken with the history behind Jolabokaflod.



No comments:

Post a Comment