Thursday, April 4, 2019

What If My Kitchen Wasn't (All) White? - The One Room Challenge


I've been having these thoughts.
Late at night. While sitting in traffic. When I'm supposed to be doing other things.
I think to myself: "What if my kitchen wasn't all white??"

I know, right?
I love love white kitchens. 
I fought long and hard for my white kitchen. 

(Painting wood cabinets appalled my hubby. 
He's finally come around and I've painted all the trim, cabinets, etc.)
I'm not knocking wood cabinets and trim -  if you have them and love them
 then that's all good. 
I just wanted it ALL painted. And white. Definitely white. ALL white.

And now I'm having these thoughts. 
After thinking these thoughts for a while I finally said it out loud.

And then to the surprise of some who know me well and my love for buckets of glossy white paint, I started looking at my paint fan deck.
I even bought a sample pot one Saturday.

I started looking for inspiration pics. 
There are tons of fabulous looking non-white kitchens out there!
I knew this and many years ago (previous home) I painted my kitchen cabinets glossy black. 
This is not my first non-white kitchen rodeo, y'all. 
Then I started a Pinterest Board of non-white kitchens. 
(That's when you know it's serious!)

(Look at this DeVol kitchen!! It's what kitchen dreams are made of.  If I had these ceilings and this light I'd definitely go for black cabinets again. But I do not.)

So, I'm going for it!
This One Room Challenge (Number 8 , for me) 
is going to be the:
What If My Kitchen Wasn't (ALL) White ORC!

I'm going to add some color to my cabinets and freshen up a few things.


(Another DeVol Kitchen. This is more the type of color I'm going for. In the same range as fingerprints, dirt and dust!! But classy looking! )

 This is NOT a kitchen reno by any means.
 NO new appliances, countertops, moving of cabinets or anything major or expensive.
 It's just a subtle color change and some small projects here and there. 
 I do think a freshen up can be just what you need to make a space a little better, more exciting, when it's been the same a looooong time!
It wasn't awful before. But it's time to repaint the cabinets 
and I'm tired of a few things so now is the time to make some changes. 
(It's only paint. I can always go white again!)

This recently thrifted cabinet is getting a paint job and headed for the kitchen.



And the bamboo kitchen table and chairs that I talked about here are staying.



These coral cheetah fabrics and this SW  paint are on my ORC radar, too.


Follow along here on the blog each week and on my Instagram account for little snippets of (hopefully) progress along the way.
See what everyone is up to on the ONE ROOM CHALLENGE website.
If you want to check out my previous One Room Challenges:


1.My Guest Room - when I took a deep breath and gave ORC a try!
2. My "Black is Back" Library (formerly our Dining Room)
See last week's Library Refresh here. The rug story is pretty amazing!
3.My Master Bathroom (Still love it!)
4. "Half the Time Project" - My Guest Room 2nd go 'round! (Confusing, I know)
5. My Entryway
6. ORC Fail :(
7. My Screened In Porch - Lucky No. 7


2 comments:

  1. Marcie...I love the Cheetah fabric and paint color you have picked out. As a proud owner of a non-white kitchen (which used to be a white kitchen) and a lover of animal print, I'm so excited to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm going to need an animal print support group soon!! I love it and it's in every room I think!

      Delete