Sunday, March 21, 2021

Punch!

 I love punch.


 It isn't served at events anymore like it was when I was growing up (and now we may feel differently about a community punch bowl altogether.) My grandmother had a frozen punch recipe that she was famous for - it had a steeped tea base with delicious fruit juices and she froze it and then whipped it with a hand mixer before serving. It was so refreshing and she often made it just for our family to enjoy during visits but it was definitely the highlight of all showers and wedding receptions. My mother would make punch for us to have in the Summer when a large group of friends would be in our yard playing in the playhouse or swinging. She used grape juice as a base and there were always maraschino cherries in it!! It was the punch of her childhood - my grandmother used to make a similar punch, when my mom was a child, in a large white enamel container and serve it to the children and anyone who stopped by.

I have very fond memories of happy times and delicious punch. I still have my punch bowl and silver punch ladle. I haven't used it in a long time but I'm hanging on to it. Maybe someday...

The other day I was scrolling through Flower Magazine's beautiful website and one of the editors, Amanda Smith Fowler, was sharing her Almond Punch recipe. The article said it was a family favorite for Easter! It sounded delicious and fun (you can top it off Ginger Ale or  Prosecco for the adults!)

(Do you see Cooper? He's trying to figure out how to get a cheese straw!!)

I really wanted to try it. As I don't have any events in the near future requiring the quantity that this punch bowl filling recipe would serve (see Amanda's family recipe here), I decided to try and reduce the recipe so we could enjoy it relaxing on the porch on a sunny Spring weekend - even if it's just us!!


Marcie's "Small Batch" Version of Almond Punch!

32 ounces of water

1 1/4 cup of sugar

12 ounces of pineapple juice

1/4 bottle of almond extract

1/4 tsp vanilla extract

2 ounces frozen lemonade, thawed slightly

ginger ale or prosecco

fruit garnish, if desired

Dissolve the sugar in warm water- be sure sugar is completely dissolved. Add the pineapple juice, lemonade, almond extract and vanilla extract to the sugar water mixture. Stir well. Pour mixture into a large freezer proof plastic container  Freeze. Pull container out, allow Almond Punch to become slushy and scoop into glasses - about halfway full. Top off each serving with ginger ale or prosecco. Garnish and enjoy. 

The Review: Reducing the recipe worked well. It's delicious, slushy and refreshing. It's delicious topped with Prosecco but it's very, very  yummy going the non-alcoholic route and using ginger ale. I tried it both ways :)

It's the perfect, refreshing Spring punch and would be equally delicious with brunch or in the afternoon with cheese straws and nibbles for Happy Hour!

Be sure to let me know if you make this punch!



2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. Question- Is it frozen lemonade or frozen lemonade concentrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think either would work. I used frozen concentrate and also I had to improvise once and just used 2 ounces of lemon juice concentrate (like Real Lemon) and that worked just as well! It's a pretty forgiving mixture.

      Delete