Thursday, May 7, 2020

My 9th-ish ORC and WASH Your Hands!


To make a long (One Room Challenge) story short this is my 9th-ish ORC.
Working back from last Fall...

Fall 2019 - My Kitchen (2nd attempt) PS. I did finish my kitchen I've just never photographed and blogged it! Maybe soon!
Spring 2019 - My Kitchen (Another Incomplete, yet I keep trying!)
Fall 2018 - My Porch 
Spring 2018 - I took an Incomplete :(
Fall 2017 - My Entryway
Spring 2017 - My Guest Bedroom
Fall 2016 - My Master Bathroom
Spring 2016 - My Library  which has been my most viewed and commented on ORC 
and it got a little refresh here.
Fall 2015 - Mollie's Bathroom   
Spring 2015 - My Guest Bedroom  which was my very first ORC and a learning curve for sure!
That's why I gave it a second go in the Spring 2017 ORC.

Since I have a bit of a hit or miss record with this thing it seems only fitting that I attempt another One Room Challenge during a Pandemic!
Right?
And since the most important thing we can do in the midst of Covid19 is to wash our hands it is either very fitting and timely or completely nuts to refresh our downstairs Powder Room where we wash our hands a gazillion times a day.

We are still sheltering in place so items that I use must either be what I have on hand or available for curbside pick up or delivery from online ordering. 
(This has been a difficult situation for so many in so many ways and I am aware that participating in a non-essential decorating challenge could seem insensitive. However, we all cope differently and "busy" and/or being creative is my coping mechanism. You can read about our particular Pandemic situation here and here.)
I'm all for using #morecreativitythancash and shopping the house too!

 Our bathroom vanity top is just not in the best shape and has needed replacing for ages. I've painted and decorated around it but it is past it's prime. I priced a new top and basin but it was far more economical to get a cabinet/basin combo from a big box store and it gives me the opportunity to get something less bulky and fit it in the space a little better. 
I shopped online and purchased the simplest, most clean lined vanity I could find. 
It's pretty basic and budget friendly but I knew I was painting it, changing the hardware and pairing it with a fabulous faux bamboo mirror already in the powder room. 

That was the utilitarian part of this project. Check.
The rest is the fun stuff.

I have had in my mind for a long time that when I redid this powder room I was going to use a mustard-y yellow color as my inspiration starting point. 
My plan all along was to paint the vanity and mirror a soft mustard. 
But I needed a fabric for the window treatment that would work with this color idea. 

My favorite part of redoing a room is wandering the fabric store aisles 
and falling for a fabric! 
Again, no open fabric stores so I had to go about this differently. 
So I started online. 
I looked and looked and googled 
and then I remembered a bolt of fabric I bought at a thrift store last year. 



I had thought I might use it for some pillows on the porch but it wasn't quite right after all. 
So I dug it out and it has a great colorway!
And the mustard-y background matches my favorite mustard-y, goldish Sherwin Williams color, Anjou Pear!! ( I used it in one of Mollie's college apartments!)
Yesss!! Hoarding Thrifting for the win!


A quick call to Sherwin Williams to order a gallon of paint for curbside pick up. 

I have the white paint for the walls because I'm basically never without white paint! 
I'm going to scrounge around but I'm pretty sure I have the paint for a fun painted floor project. 



The rest will just fall into place as I look around the house and decide about art and accessories.

I didn't really have any inspo pictures going in to this - just the color in my head but I found this on Pinterest and it pretty much sums up what I've been thinking (plus some blue and white chinoiserie, of course!)


lorenzocastillo.org

Thank you for following along, be safe and stay well and...
WASH your hands!

Looking for some distraction?
Be sure to follow along with all of the ORC posts here.



No comments:

Post a Comment