Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Snowman rut *...


I seem to have a lot of snowman posts all of a sudden. Especially for a warm weather gal... and it is balmy and warm in Atlanta this week :) People are shopping in flip flops and capris! Niiiiiice!!
 I started with 16 x 20 canvasses ( from Dick Blick) and used mixing bowls to trace my snowman shapes with chalk.
I painted the outside of the snowman outline - in this case, one turqouisey blue and one black. After that dried I used my Spouncers ( see earlier post!) to add eyes, mouths and polka dots on my carrot noses. ( I am doing this project in January in Art Camp - great shape and biggest to littlest lesson. Also, positive and negative space.) I also used the Spouncers dipped in white paint to add a blizzard of snowflakes!! I let that dry and then, the fun really started!!
I painted my snowman with Mod Podge - just the white parts- and then sprinkled the wet Mod Podge with clear crystal glitter!! It's awesome.
Then I dipped my Spouncers in Mod Podge and dotted all my snowflakes again. I sprinkled them with glitter, too.
 
Then I gently shook off the excess glitter and gave the whole canvas a little spatter of white paint.

 

Ta-da!!! Really sparkly, wintry snowmen.



* the Snowman rut, not unlike the Candy Corn rut!

** These sparkly snow gentlemen were created as part of a table scape for a reception following the Children's Christmas Cantata at church. Everything was white, orange and turquoise. We had melted Snowman punch that was delicious, snowman noses in melty snow ( carrot sticks in little clear palstic cups with ranch dressing in the bottom - individual dippers for each child makes for a less germy dip experience), snowman cupcakes and more. The table had cotton ball snowballs and bubble wrap as a table runner and the snowman paintings pulled it all together. it was super fun and I have not one picture because 3 times as many people showed up as expected and it was crazeeeee- fun, but crazy!!

Linking up:

Fun Stuff Fridays




6 comments:

  1. Hehe. I haven't been doing snowmen but I am also forever painting a canvas to fill up some wall space. The great thing is they don't cost that much so you can change them up over the course of the year. Thanks for the link up to BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous! Would you please share this with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, these look like they would be fun to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sparkles add the wow touch! great craft for kids! i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i looked at past blogs but couldn't find "spouncers" Could you explain?

    ReplyDelete