Monday, December 5, 2011

The Littlest Nativity!

This is a little bitty Nativity. It is so sweet.
Here's a little size reference for you!
 It is made with a very small grapevine wreath. About 1 1/2 inches across. I buy these at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They are about a dollar for 4 or 5 in a bundle. The "hay" is some straw like packaging stuff from something that was shipped to us. You can buy it at the craft stores as well or snip up some raffia and glue it in there. Whatever you have.
Baby Jesus is a scrap of cross stitch fabric  but I have used muslin and white burlap. Just a scrap of natural looking fabric. His little head is a small wooden "plug" used for wood working. I can't rememmber exactly what they are called but I buy mine at Lowe's in the department with shelves and screw on wooden legs - that kind of stuff. You get a bunch in a bag for just a couple of dollars. I give him little pink cheeks and two Sharpie dots for eyes. That's it. I glue him in the fabric scrap, bundle it up and tie a little raffia around him to hold it all together.
 
The star and the wire are the hanger if you want to put it on the tree or it will just sit flat on a table. The little wooden star is sponge painted a yellow ochre color and hot glued to a 6 inch length of pretty stiff wire. I curl it around a pencil or dowel and bend it into shape. You just slide it through the wreath and add a dab of glue to keep it in place.
That's it. Quick and precious! I have made literally hundreds of these over the years - College Girl was two when I made the first one. I have done this with children and Senior Adults - everyone loves it. I have used them as package toppers on gifts wrapped in brown kraft paper.
It's just sweet and simple.


6 comments:

  1. So sweet. Thanks for reminding me of what Christmas is really all about and for linking up your creativity on this week's Motivated Monday at BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! What a sweet reminder of the reason for the season!

    Would LOVE for you to link up to our Home For The Holidays link party!

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/12/home-for-holidays-link-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable - thanks for sharing. Saw you on Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!! I love that it hangs on your Christmas tree! A great reminder what the season is all about... HIM! Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just letting you know that I linked to this post on my page called Nativity Activities for Kids: http://www.zujava.com/nativity-activities-for-kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Bonita! can't wait to look at all the Nativities on the page. Marcie

      Delete